Birth Story – Alexander

By Thursday, July 22, 2010 6 No tags Permalink 0

It all started on a Monday. The date, May 19th, 2008. I was still asleep. The time was 3 am or something close to it. I woke up. I really did not know why but I thought “Huh, that was weird”. An hour later I woke up again this time wondering if it had all started.

Being a first time mommy back then I was a little scared. It wasn’t until we got out of bed that I realized labor had started. We took a shower and, since we used to live 4 blocks from his former job, we went for a stroll. All those stories that walking will make the process go faster did not prove true. At least not for me.

Tyler wanted to stay and make sure I was OK. I sent him to work telling him that if anything happened I would give him a call and he could run to the house! I mean, he was going to be 4 blocks away! He was not too thrilled about it but he went to work.

Since my due date was May 12th and this boy seemed to like being all cuddled up in my tummy I was scheduled that day  for a stress test to make sure he was OK and that labor was not going to affect him.

Full term. May18th. And I thought I was small…at least it looked that way from my persprective!

I told the nurse that I thought I was in labor. She sort of looked at me as if saying ‘you think you are in labor?’. And I told her that I have been having contractions but that there was no pattern at all. After the stress test was done she told me that it had all began and that I could either stay at the hospital or go back home.

I am not a big fan of doctors, hospitals or medicine. The least contact with them the best. So I decided to go back. That and I was starving.

Once at home I asked Ty to make me some cream of chicken thinking it was going to be light on my stomach. I didn’t take more than 3 bites and I could not handle the contractions anymore. We knew then it was time to make our phone calls and go back to the hospital.

Back then we had just moved to Portland so all our friends and his side of the family where living back in Washington, some in Bellingham some in Seattle (my family lives in Texas). Once my mother in law heard that his second grandson was on his way he drove to Portland but did ask if we could wait for her to go to the hospital. Two hours later and we were on our way. Thankfully the hospital, OHSU, was on the other side of downtown Portland where we used to live.

I can still remember not being able to talk through the contractions. Tyler looked at me and said to me “it cannot be that bad”. He was so lucky I was still having that contraction ’cause that comment pissed me off like you have no idea! It could have ended badly!

Once in the hospital I was all prepped up in my own room. I was still hungry. Starving! Around 8 o’clock at night I couldn’t bare the pain and decided that it was time for an epidural. I was so relieved that the anesthesiologist was there! As soon as he walked in I said “Oh, there’s my new best friend”. He looked at me like I was not the first one to have ever said that. I felt a little embarrassed.

I was asked to sit on the edge of the bed, feet hanging out. This is where I almost turn around and punch him on the face. He started poking my sides! What the heck was that! It hurt so much! Luckily for him I was in so much pain. Once the block was done I felt soooo much better. And I found it amazing how the monitor showed the powerful contractions that I could not longer feel! I was amazed. And then I fell asleep.

By then Tyler’s two of his best friends, Tim and Steve, were already there. Since they were bored they decided to play Russian Poker or something like that. As I came in an out of my sleep I could hear them laughing and throwing stuff. Then I realized they were betting with M&M’s! And I was so hungry!! Later on I learned that I would wake up and say something to then dose away.

6 am and there was still no Alexander. My contractions started to slow down and there was no way I was going to get induce to probably end up getting a c-section. My Dr knew c-sections were out! Just the idea of being awake while they put their hands in me and the pressure, argh. I guess it is not always a good thing when your best friend is a doctor!

The nurse decided it was time to break my water. And so she did with what looked like a big crochet needle! The rush of the amniotic fluid felt so weird. But it was time to bring my baby to the world.

I don’t know what went through my mind when I asked to have a mirror. I couldn’t dare to look! “Look, there comes the head”. I dared to open my eyes and look, but couldn’t make out what I was looking at so I shut them close again.

I pushed for 105 minutes which felt like 5. All I ever said was “get him out!” and everyone in the room laughed!

8:06am and my life had changed for the good. I was a mommy of a HUGE baby!!

Everybody was surprised that I delivered a 10lb 12oz baby without tearing at all! I was surprised too and also relieved. I always feared having a small baby. What if I hurt my baby while changing his diaper or putting on his clothes? That frightened me.

10lbs 12oz. 22 3/4 in tall. 15cm head circumference. 10 fingers and 10 toes. With not so much hair but with those 4 super long strand you could see in his ultrasound. He was perfect. Is perfect.

The best journey of our lives had started.

  • Dawn
    July 22, 2010

    I am your newest follower! Please visit when you get a chance at

  • Kari
    July 22, 2010

    Hi, I am a new follower from the Mom bloggers club, i look forward to reading your blog


  • Amber
    July 22, 2010

    Wow! 10 lbs 12 oz!! Good for you mama!

    I’m following back from Bloggy Moms.

  • veronica lee
    July 22, 2010

    OMG! 10 pounds!!! My baby was only 5 pounds and he was smaller than our family cat!

    I daren’t bathe him. He looked so fragile. Hubby bathed him every morning before he went to work!!!

  • Jill
    July 23, 2010

    Alexander was a big baby indeed! Good for you! This is what we’re made for mama!

  • Swiss Ball Exercises
    July 25, 2010

    Keep up the good work, I like your writing.