A few days back I decided I wanted to put way more effort into our meals. Simply seasoning chicken and having rice or potatoes as a side dish just didn’t seem to cut it. So I have been on the look for new and fancy meal ideas to try out. Along the way I came upon an Oreo cookie recipe. And there is just one other thing I like more than cooking: baking! I simply had to give it a try!
Once the boys went to bed I gathered all my ingredients, got the butter out of the fridge, buckets of flour and sugar out of the pantry and patiently waited for them to wake up. They did try to be sneaky and pretend to take a nap for about 20 minutes but after much ado they did fall asleep, phew.
Those boys love to help me bake so I just had to wait for them to actually take a nap.
Once they were up the fun began!
- For cookies:
- 1¼ cups flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons (1¼ sticks) softened butter
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- 1 large egg
- For the frosting filling:
- ¼ cup softened butter
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half or cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- To make cookies cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla together. Add egg and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift dry ingredients together. Add to butter mixture and combine.
- Place cookie dough onto cookie sheet by rounded teaspoon-fulls. Cookies will double the size so make sure to space them. Flatten dough slightly. Bake for 8 minutes, or until cookies are done. Remove from oven and set on cooling racks.
- To make frosting filling, mix butter, half-and-half, and vanilla together. Add enough powdered sugar to make a thick frosting.
- To assemble cookies, spread frosting on one cookie half and lightly press another cookie onto the frosting.
For a first try I must say that these cookies are very good!! The more often I bake them tweaks will happen, like with every single recipe out there. One change I would make would be to add more filling to the cookies. But still, they are DELICIOUS!!